‘When I am gone, if anybody wants to remember me, I wish to be remembered as the Physician who cared for his patients and a patriot who cared for his country.’
Dr. H.L. Trivedi
In the afternoon hours of Gandhi Jayanti and Lal Bahadur Shastree Jayanti, 2nd October, 2019, the founder Director of G.R. Doshi and K.M. Mehta Institute Of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre (IKDRC)-Dr. H.L. Trivedi Institute of Transplantation Sciences (ITS) and the first Pro-Chancellor of this University, breathed his last at the age of 87 years in the hospital premises. He had been ailing for some time.
He relinquished his Chair of Director of Transplantation services at McMaster University, Canada along with fortune and earthly comforts, and reputation of one of the most successful academician of Canada, to create awareness about kidney diseases in his motherland in 1977. With tremendous hard work and facing harsh winds all his life he fulfilled his dream of creating IKDRC-ITS and finally this university with IKDRC-ITS as its constituent college, to achieve the goal of ‘An institute that is based on three pillars of Service, Education and Research; all three equal and strong, interrelating and inter-supporting one another.’
This university was established by GUTS Gujarat Act. 9 of 2015 on 1st May, 2015. Now it is five years old. Since I assumed this office in May 2019, the university has achieved the following milestones:
- Appointment of Chief Account Officer/Finance Officer Shree K.V. Modi.
- IT exemption certificate u/s 10(23C) of Income Tax Act 1961
- Allotment of CARDEX number to GUTS from Government of Gujarat
- Opened Government e-Marketplace (GeM) Portal for purchase of University material
- Started M.Ch. Urology Course (3 Seats) at IKDRC-ITS under aegis of GUTS.
- Got essentiality certificate from Health Department, GoG to start following courses in
- MD Anaesthesia (10 Seats)
- PDF Renal Pathology (2 Seats)
- Tried to procure essentiality certificate for DM (Renal and Transplant Pathology)
- Started PDCC Renal and Transplant Pathology under GUTS under aegis of Indian
- Approval from BOG to start GUTS School of Physiotherapy
- Approval from BOG to start GUTS Department of Transplant Coordination and to start new transplant coordinator course under aegis of GUTS
- Approval from BOG for expansion of School of Nursing
- Second Executive Council was formed under provision of GUTS Gujarat Act. 9 of 2015
- Second Finance Committee was formed under provision of GUTS Gujarat Act. 9 of 2015
- Approval from BOG for Gujarat Cancer & Research Institute (GCRI) as GUTS Approved Institute for educational activities
- Indicated process and got approval of BOG for Transfer/Absorption of GUTS Academic staff from IKDRC-ITS as per provisions of GUTS Gujarat Act 9 of 2015
- Appointment of Prof. P.R. Modi as I/C University Dean
- Got Permission of 7th Pay Commission for Administrative and Academic staff of GUTS
- Got permission from GOG to fill 82 new posts which were put in abeyance for F.Y. ‘19-‘20 and ‘20-‘21
- Implementation of New Pension Scheme as per the directives, Government of Gujarat
- Formation and approval of Recruitment Rules for various academic and administrative post of GUTS
- Formation of GUTS Regulations and Service Rules as per section 38 of GUTS, Gujarat Act 9 of 2015
- Appointment of New Auditor as per section 31(3) of GUTS, Gujarat Act 9 of 2015
- Fixed fees for different student services at GUTS
- Installation of CCTV in University Premises
- Registration of 2 new domains for GUTS, http://guts.ac.in and http://guts.edu.in
Thus the dream of Prof. Trivedi is shaping up to reach the grass route level of medical fraternity to give its best to the society. IKDRC-ITS is the pioneer research institute with one of the highest numbers of kidney transplants performed in the country along with liver transplants. Pancreas transplants have also started. It also caters dialysis needs to periphery of the state. The pioneering research on stem cells and its applications in clinic like transplantation with minimum or no immunosuppressive medications, stem cell therapy for diabetes mellitus, neuronal stem cells etc., which earned Prof. Trivedi and the institute world-wide fame was stopped for some time. We hope to restart these activities in service of mankind and also strive to start other transplants and research in different areas.
Let us all try to emulate Prof. Trivedi in his thoughts translated in to actions; while treating his patients he always used to tell his students and staff; ‘Patient is visiting the hospital in the form of Dardi Narayan (God embodied as patient) giving us the opportunity to serve the Narayan in the patient, let us not lose this opportunity to serve him’.
On this first death anniversary I close here with a prayer to the Almighty to guide us in right direction in service of humanity through education, research and service.
Prof. (Dr.) Aruna Vanikar, MD, PhD, D,Litt.
2nd October, 2020